Songwriters United
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forum - Discussion Board

+7
monnodb
Rightly
PaulAds
Michael A
adamfarr
NickRyder
pompeyjazz
11 posters

Go down

The Forum - Discussion Board Empty The Forum - Discussion Board

Post by pompeyjazz Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:18 pm

Hi All, It's John Pompeyjazz here. It's such a shame that our forum has been out of action for a while. This is not a new forum, I've spent a bit of time looking at this forum alternative software that I've got for free at the moment and wanted to start a conversation about what we do to have some sort of shared experience.

Personally, I don't really want to get into running a forum although I'm very happy to help out as moderator or similar. I'm thinking of doing some research as part of my Uni course into the area of forums for musicians so will be able to justify some time into the subject though.

This is completely open - Say what you think, no holds barred and lets see what we come up with Very Happy

Take care all

John

pompeyjazz
Admin

https://songutd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Forum - Discussion Board Empty Re: The Forum - Discussion Board

Post by NickRyder Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:32 pm

Nice one, John.

I’ll check back n properly tomorrow.

NickRyder

Back to top Go down

Post by adamfarr Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:42 pm

Afternoon all. Thanks for doing this!

adamfarr

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael A Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:00 pm

Great to see a proactive bit of action, well done John.

If it is problematic, I’m  not sure why Boydie is bothering to migrate the whole archive site over. I don’t think many folk look at posts older than a few weeks.

I’d be happy to join in on something new, from time to time. I think the old forum has got too much baggage now to flourish again.

I’d be happy to contribute to a small forum if the old one can’t be resuscitated!

Michael A

Back to top Go down

Post by pompeyjazz Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:08 pm

Ah ! Good to see that this seems to be working and look forward to your thoughts and suggestions Very Happy

pompeyjazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulAds Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:32 pm

Hello 👋

I've invited Boydie to pop over and share his thoughts...and a few other folks too.

I really hope we can get back on track and, hopefully, better than ever.

Looking forward to hearing all opinions 😀

Paul

PaulAds

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightly Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:39 pm

just saying hi

Well done for putting up this provisional forum John

I've some new things going on musically
I might want to ask advice at some point.
not now. Too tired

later
Rightly
Rightly

Back to top Go down

Post by monnodb Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:48 pm

Hi there John et al!

Thanks for setting this up - I actually did the same myself just to see what's possible but haven't brought it further.

Ideal I think would be for Boydie to get the old site back up and running, with or without the archive. As with a few of you, I'd be happy to mod on that or another site but don't really have the time to actually set up and run one. Having said that, I'm open to helping out / being active on a forum.

I do miss the chat! And listening to the new music on the forum so I'm all for supporting the resurrection.

Boydie - I've heard you've had a nightmare with the migration. Don't envy you that..

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for the chats.

Night everyone!

K

monnodb

Back to top Go down

Post by 5GuysNamedLars Tue Oct 22, 2024 10:37 pm

Hello everybody. Good to see we're all still alive.😛. Great initiative John and will try and contribute when I can. My first question to the forum is to ask , how can I get my finger out of my arse and start writing again ? 😊.Sending lots of love to you all from over the sea. 👍💪 Xx
5GuysNamedLars
5GuysNamedLars

Back to top Go down

Post by NickRyder Wed Oct 23, 2024 11:36 am

Morning, all.

I've been speaking to Boydie these last few weeks and I know its been frustrating for him.

From my point of view, if the forum was restored to 2018 as a point in time, then it doesn't bother me. Even if it were to start again, that would be fine too.

It would keep the same URL so the same people could and would re-join. In some ways it might be nice to start again.

The forum is more about the people for me.

NickRyder

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulAds Wed Oct 23, 2024 12:33 pm

Hello

Nice to see a few familiar faces.

I don't know if it'd be a bad thing to have a clean slate anyway.

It's probably not the ideal scenario...but, as Michael says, most stuff drops of the first page of "finished songs" and effectively disappears into the ether anyway.

Having an archive going backwards from 2018 but missing the last 6 years isn't worth bothering with, to my mind.

If it could be parked as an archive somewhere, that'd possibly be mildly interesting to delve into once in a blue moon, but it'd presumably cost money just for the storage space and there'd be very little benefit that I can see.

Certainly, the address is definitely worth keeping...although I've always had difficulty trying to bring the forum up from a search engine, for some reason.

Beyond that, I'd probably like to see a brand new site, without the baggage of the previous forum.

There are ways where people could perhaps give a resume of previous exploits on a new profile page, for example...we could even gradually post a handful of our all-time top 3 songs for new feedback from each other, which would be a bit of a pleasant trip down memory lane and an indication of what has been achieved by members over the years.

Another potential benefit of a fresh start is that it creates a bit more of a level playing field...where newer members who want to participate fully can feel less like outsiders.

My hope would be that Boydie could set up a new, redesigned SW Forum, perhaps a little more streamlined...and, with a few new suggestions from the good folks here, hopefully a fresh outlook.

I have a few other suggestions which can be thrown in once we get the ball rolling.

The main thing, initially, I guess, is to find out what Boydie is hoping to do...

Once we know that, we can get cracking with ideas.

I wouldn't really want the forum resurrected as it was, because it was really dying on its arse, as we'd say up north.

So, despite all the trials and tribulations, it's really a great opportunity...and it may yet turn out to be the only time that anyone ever actually managed to carry out the threat to "build back better" 😉

PaulAds

Back to top Go down

Post by pompeyjazz Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:23 pm

The more I think about it, the idea of a clean slate seems more appealing. It’s an opportunity to introduce some new ideas and creates a fresh impetus. I’d also like to see a team of 3 or 4 moderators made up of guys who have already provided feedback. I would also like to hear what Boydie thinks though

pompeyjazz
Admin

PaulAds likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NickRyder Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:40 pm

This all sounds very positive.

I can't wait to get it back up so I can tell you all about a really weird, funny and sad story!! Smile

NickRyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Boydie Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:01 pm

Hi all

Just wanted to jump on say hello!

I won't bore you all with the saga about the state of the songwriterforum - only to say that a lot of work has gone on behind the scenes (mainly by TONE) to get the forum migrated to a new platform

This highlighted a number of issues and despite me taking a full backup of the forum on the day it went down - it looks like the data is from 2018. I have raised this as an issue with the hosting company - but they have been sooooooooooooo bad, I am not holding out much hope

So it appears the options with the current songwriterforum are to either restore to a point in 2018 or potentially start afresh

Whatever option is chosen - I am very open to taking a more collaborative approach to the forum and would "donate" the domain name, logos etc. if we wanted to build something

My only words of caution would be...

I have seen smaller "splinter forums" develop, which either die out due to not having enough people - or encounter exactly the same issues as the songwriterforum did from time to time

It is also very easy to run the forum when it is going well - but when things like changing platform are required, or something goes wrong with database files etc. - it can be extremely stressy and time consuming to fix - not to mention the desire for new features etc. - this all takes a lot of "energy"

Frustratingly, this has all come at a time when I was personally getting set to reinvigorate my songwriting and production work - so I do truly feel all of your pain and I am personally devastated by what has happened to the songwriterforum

I will happily participate in these discussions and hopefully we can come up with a plan

Also, thank you for setting this up John so that we can have these discussions - I have missed you all!!!!

Boydie

pompeyjazz, PaulAds, adamfarr and monnodb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adamfarr Wed Oct 23, 2024 7:08 pm

Hey all. Sorry to hear about all the technical woes. Totally happy to participate and start again from zero.

I guess the question I have is whether we can create something that's not already covered by other forums. I have to admit to having been hanging around musesongwriters and they do a lot of things well. It's a different vibe but well frequented and I've found it useful. So there wouldn't be much point in creating a clone. I think the Songwriters in the Kitchen ended up on Discord, which is a different animal again.

Anyhow, I am reasonably productive these days so would participate more. Very happy to see and discuss with you all here!

adamfarr

pompeyjazz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Davy Vance aka Skub Wed Oct 23, 2024 10:13 pm

pompeyjazz wrote:
This is completely open - Say what you think, no holds barred and lets see what we come up with Very Happy  

Since I can say what I think,can I just start with Pomps is a wanker? Very Happy

I know I haven't posted much on the forum the past while,since I appear to be suffering from a broken mojo,but I often looked in and I miss some aspects,now that it's busted. Lots of good people on there,as well as John. Razz

I don't have any objection,or even a right to an objection concerning a fresh start,especially if the IT millstone has become burdensome for Boydie and Tone. It would mean I could post up my old schitt again and pretend it's freshly baked. Cool

Adam mentioned the Kitchen going to Discord,man if ever there was an apt name for that software. I used to use another platform on there (I forget the name) but it was a nightmare to navigate,totally unintuitive. I ran away screaming in the end,but it fell apart anyway. Did I mention I hate Discord?

Considering the core membership would be the same in the brave new forum,what can we realistically expect to be different? What could forum members do to change anything and what exactly needs to be changed? We all experience the ebb and flow of songwriting,the peaks and the troughs where we lose impetus and interest. That's pretty much a constant for us all,aside from Pomps,who alongside his prowess as a wanker,is a veritable unending song machine. Shocked

Maybe I'm sounding a little negative,but I don't mean to be. I know,as a member I am part of the problem.

Anyway,lots of hugs and kisses to John for creating this little portal. Cool

Davy Vance aka Skub

pompeyjazz, PaulAds and 5GuysNamedLars like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pompeyjazz Yesterday at 6:43 pm

Thank you everyone for you contributions (Except you Skub Laughing ) Really, the language on here !!

Boydie - I'm just a bit unclear by what you mean when you say "donate" the domain name, logos etc. if we wanted to build something"

I think the consensus is (And please swear at me if I'm wrong) That it would be great to get the existing forum running again and if data has been lost then it's no big deal - A version of the existing forum with no posts would perhaps be even better.

Cheers all

John

pompeyjazz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CCB Yesterday at 7:12 pm

Hello all,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm not sure I'd participate in a renewed forum for the same reason I left the old one, but I do like knowing it's there (like a library) and would regularly pop in to 'shadow' see what you guys and girls were up to.
I think forums are innately a dying breed - communities tend to dwindle rather than grow. It would be a shame for this one to fall apart so I hope Boydie and Tone get it back.

In terms of suggestions for a new version... it's difficult with such a small community. When I posted I felt limited by the 'only post 1 a week' guideline but then it made sense as there weren't that many people and 1 or 2 regular posters could write 3/4 songs a week whereas others post once a month and would be 'washed away' so I understand the reason.

I found everyone welcoming so it's a shame more newbies didn't join more regularly. When you think how many people there are out there with DAWS looking for feedback it slightly perplexes me there's not more members across the limited number of forums. That said - part of the charm of this forum was it's close-knit ragtag family feel.

In short - no ideas!

I'll leave you with this:

How do dolphins know when they're romantically inclined?

They just click!

Much love

CCB

CCB

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulAds Yesterday at 8:05 pm

I think we need someone with a vision of what they really want.

I don't have that vision and I don't know what I want out of it.

I don't know what anyone else wants either.

I'd be happy enough with a much smaller, more sociable forum. Maybe the odd song from me, a zoom call from time to time...the odd challenge here and there.

I enjoy listening to what everyone produces and so i am happy doing reviews.

As Joe Jackson said

"You can't get what you want 'til you know what you want"

Maybe that's partly our problem?

I never wanted it to be like a little club for the chosen few...but I have come to think there are only maybe 20 members or so left who fully embrace the idea. And the ones who didn't stick around long enough to become part of it probably see it as being that club anyway.

I don't envy anyone trying to figure this out.

PaulAds

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael A Yesterday at 9:16 pm

Looking at the above, a few points seem to stand out.

1. Forums are generally dying out. I’d add that those still going are used by older people. That’s why the old forum - and say breakaway forum the Kitchen - was mainly populated by people over 40.

It’s probably like the members of a Crown Green Bowling club saying they need to do more to attract new blood. The fundamental concept of participating in such a pursuit is big no no for the young ‘uns.

2. But that is OK if people are happy to still join in knowing that’s true. Being an oldie myself, I don’t mind at all. But any forum going forward would have to make an effort to recruit new most likely older members. It would be great if the demographic spread, and there are one or two fab young folk that come on from time to time. These should be made very welcome, but they aren’t going to stay for long.

3. There seems to be a bit of interest in a splinter forum starting up, but as of yet nobody has stepped forward to want to be the leader of this. To his credit, recognising that maybe any forum going forwards needs to be run in a more collaborative way, Boydie has offered to give up the domain name and just join in as an active contributor. That is a very selfless offer, well done that man!

But still, nobody is biting his hand off. I would have done about four or five years ago, but a combination of feeling a bit over the hill and my more successful novel writing has meant I’m a less active songwriter these days.

But here’s a chance for a new leader to step forward if they want.

4. There’s less storage space needed on a server if it’s not migrated with its full history. I can’t see anyone here that bothered about saving the archive if the alternative is no forum.

5. Boydie might decide to restart the old forum from afresh, if we ask him nicely, 😁 with no archive. But it’s likely to be small, so we probably each need to do more to keep it going if the idea that it could cease to exist upsets us.

6. I most enjoyed forum life during COVID when more folk joined in and there was more going on. But even then it was a small community. But that community brightened up my life, for sure. I’m hoping it will do again. A small group of people putting a bit of effort in is all it would probably take.

Cheers, if you got to the end of that ramble!

Michael A

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum